- Member for:
- 6 years 36 weeks
- PLUG Blog:
- view recent blog entries
- Contractor For Hire
- Full Name:
- Thayne Harbaugh
- American Fork
- Current Title:
- Senior Software Developer
- Tech Comfort Level:
- Highly Experienced
- Cell Phone:
Original co-founder of PLUG. I've been involved in Linux and F/OSS for twelve years and have done embedded systems, super computers, high-volume Internet servers, network administration, security, etc..
- Additional Information:
15 North 300 East
American Fork, Utah 84003
Phone: (801) 234-0592
Strong emphasis in Linux/Unix software development, high-volume
Internet servers and LAN infrastructure.
Senior Software Engineer
Realm Systems, Inc.
Created Linux distribution, SDK and emulator and custom applications
for USB-powered Mobile Personal Server (MPS).
* Created Linux distribution for Mobile Personal Server (MPS).
* Developed build system for platform and SDK software.
* Improved Qemu emulator http://qemu.org for use in SDK for ppc405-based
* Created and lead user interface development team.
* Created user applications including biometric interface, login
interface and help browser.
* Demonstrated future applications and established next-generation
development for engineering team.
Senior Software Engineer
Developed low-level hardware drivers and hardware validation test suite.
* Created Fogo hardware validation test suite used on every
machine prior to shipment.
* Created low-level hardware cataloging and hardware tracking
software and database.
* Created Bluesmoke http://sourceforge.net/projects/bluesmoke/ ECC
memory reporting and hardware error condition reporting Linux
* Improved Linux kernel MTD http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org
(memory technology devices) drivers for flashing motherboard
* Solved hardware and software problems blocking large
deployments of clusters.
* Provided technical assistance for customer support, RMA,
* Wrote technical information on ECC memory and hardware
monitoring for many large system proposals.
Senior Software Engineer: Linux Kernel Team
Developed software for and ported software to set-top boxes used for
interactive and enhanced TV.
* Ported Liberate Porter SDK to Linux.
* Added multiple graphics, audio, and input implementations to
Liberate Porter SDK.
* Improved Porter Verification Test Suite with a major rewrite,
improved existing tests and added new tests.
* Represented Liberate for graphics and video in the TV Linux
* Assisted with UPC Cable deployment by writing conditional
access extender and porting to new deployment platform.
* Maintained IBM thin client with bug fixes and technical
Internet Server Architect
About Web Services - formerly Northsky
Designed and managed data center, Internet server architecture and
* Led team that designed the next-generation
Freeservers http://freeservers.com Internet server
* Maintained datacenter and Freeservers system of 80 computers
serving 1.5 million web sites with Email accounts.
* Established security practices and security awareness with
installation of firewall, IP filters and secure connection
practices for both Internet server network and company
* Optimized web servers by removing database dependencies for
* Improved DNS server reliability by reducing zone load times
from 40 minutes to 5 minutes and eliminating zone reloads.
* Organized software developers, web developers and QA team with
introduction of CVS for managing source code and software
* Designed and built replica of next-generation Freeservers
system for development and testing environments.
* Minimized incidence response time with resource and service
monitoring and paging system for message delivery.
* Automated installation and upgrade of network servers with
customized Linux distribution.
* Increased accessibility and reduced need of on-site personnel
with total remote control system.
Release Engineer / LAN Administrator
Designed and managed LAN for a satellite office and also managed
weekly builds for thin client OS and applications.
* Controlled and built revisions of thin client operating system
and applications shipped each week to IBM for x86 and PowerPC
* Installed thin client server and development software for
Hewlet Packard and IBM.
* Managed LAN of 70 computers with WAN connection, printers,
network tape backup, software installation, access and
security and Oracle database.
* Wrote Linux network computer proposal for Larry Ellison of
* Designed thin client demo for University of Utah computer
science department joint testing.
* Managed installation of thin client product for development and
* Designed, wired and installed new office LAN prior to office
* Created and customized software for product distribution,
installation, upgrade and network UPS management.
* Modified third party software to fix bugs and add options for
integration into larger, multi-program solutions.
* Installed network cabling for Liberate's Salt Lake City office
and Midvale Elementary School for Oracle's Promise network
Mechanical and Electrical Designer
Designed electrical circuits for sound analysis and created and
managed nearly all mechanical drawings.
* Designed digital display map for Universal Studios.
* Redesigned intensity probe mechanics and circuit boards.
* Created mechanical drawings for manufacture of microphones,
sheet metal and plastic cases, accelerometers, artificial
ears, mass spectrometers, and subassembly and assembly
* Performed schematic and circuit board layout.
* Managed product design documentation distribution and archival.
Five years in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Brigham Young
Linux Kernel: ECC, SMBus, lm sensors (hardware monitoring), MTD
(FLASH), General driver rework and maintenance, Building and
Languages: C, C++, Python, Perl, Shell
Development Tools: Autoconf, Automake, Libtool, Make, GDB, SVN, CVS
Areas of expertise: Kernel Development, Graphics, Audio, Embedded systems,
Internet Servers: HTTP: Apache web server, DNS: ISC Bind, FTP, SMTP,
LAN Infrastructure: NIS, DHCP, Dynamic DNS, NFS, SNMP, Server
monitoring and notification, Thin clients and diskless workstations,
Total remote management, Network file backup
Network Hardware: Cisco routers, Switches and hubs, Cabling, Network
Security: Firewalls, Secure Shell, Private Key Encryption, VPN,
Intrusion detection, Intrusion post-mortem
Server OS's: Linux, Solaris, SunOS, NetBSD, FreeBSD
Embedded OS's: Linux, VxWorks, OS20
Desktop OS's: Linux, Microsoft Windows (as a network client), MacOS (as a
Portuguese: Reading, Writing, Speaking
Hobbies: Remote control aircraft building and flying, Rock and Ice
climbing, Mountain biking, Snowboarding
President and co-founder, Provo Linux Users' Group, July 1996-October 2001
Linux Users' Group for Utah Valley (PLUG). PLUG serves 10 - 40
attending members and hundreds of users subscribed to the PLUG mailing
- User points: