rss news & blogs
Odd billboards from Domo’s chief, Josh James aren’t a new thing. It’s kindof his schtick, hailing from days back at Omniture (now Adobe) and even using secretive billboards to attract people to his newest, then-stealthy gig, which turned out to be Domo.*
Designed to read like a classified ad (in the personals section), the ad reads:
Sexy young startup seeks hot engineers
4 a good time, go 2 www.domo.com/jobs
Initially, this ad is clearly trying to play a joke on the idea that Domo is putting out ad after ad to hire engineers, something akin to putting a personal ad out or joining an online dating site (insert golf clap here). This is something that’s not lost on me or the recruiting industry in-general, but I have always felt this conversation that “recruiting is like dating” just lends itself to the wrong kinds of allusions. The last thing we need in the world today are more hiring managers going about hiring staff like they would try to find a date for Friday night.
However, thinking just barely beyond the initial impression, it becomes clear that this billboard is, at a minimum fairly tasteless, but in the extreme, highly offensive to both women as well as any self-respecting professional looking for work.
- Are Domo engineers hotter than other engineers? I mean, if this is what’s being recruited for, they should have an unusually attractive workforce…
- Are candidates measured by hotness? Is there a technical term for that? What programming language(s) do hot people write in?
- If your hotness quotient should diminish over time, are you passed up for promotions or does your percentage in the bonus pool shrink? As an analytics/dashboard company, are these rankings published (with photos, of course) on the internal intranet?
- I’m not sure – Is this an ad for a long-term relationship or more of a one-night-stand type thing? Would you want to work for a company that just wants to NCMO?
- How would you feel after being hired to find out that the next engineer hired is actually getting all the attention? Would you be jealous? Is this a precursor to an episode of Sister Wives?
All jokes aside, while the billboard isn’t technically sexist (It doesn’t specify that the sexy startup is masculine or feminine or that said sexy startup is seeking a preference of males or females), it does lend itself to a pretty cheap kind of relationship between the employer and the employee. If being hired is like being selected for a date, what kind of experience should a candidate–or employee–expect to have in that environment? I’m not going to lie, I am pretty shocked that Human Resources didn’t step in and squash this billboard pretty fast.
Look, if an employee in a company I worked with put up a sign outside their office saying exactly this when they began hiring for a specific job to fill, it would be taken down pretty fast by either request or by force. Even if there’s, perhaps, nothing immediately harassing about what this sign says, it sure smacks of it and that’s pretty plain to see. I wouldn’t recruit on a job being advertised this way. If the company is just looking “4 a good time”, then what does that make the recruiter??
* Disclosure: I used to work for JJ at OMTR. Have no idea if this matters, but since there’s a connection here that might not be readily apparent, I figured I should say something.
As we enter 2013, I’m thinking of additional ways to improve the Utah Tech Jobs website. I’m thinking it would be great to add list of resources that would be valuable for people who are seeking new or different employment.So, what job resources do you know about? I’m interested in profiling companies, job clubs, Networking and user groups, and other tools that may not be readily apparent to the casual job seeker. Related Posts:
Sallie Krawcheck poses an interesting question on workplace flexibility in LinkedIn’s 50 Big Ideas for 2013:
The US economic recovery is tepid at best, with growth in short supply. At the same time, progress on gender diversity has stalled, with the number of women in senior roles plateauing.
Solving the second challenge can help the first. Fully engaging women in the economy can increase GDP by as much as 9% … but it will take some very different thinking.
What do you think? Read more and comment, below?
The Harold B. Lee Library at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah is immediately seeking a full-time Software Developer with interests in big data and archival/library technologies to assist us with our new digital preservation project.
- Design, develop and support systems which benefit library patrons or extend purchased library systems
- Communicate with all stakeholders regarding commitments and requirements of all participants and users
- Hire, train and manage student employees to assist in development projects
- Keep up with new developments and technologies in digital preservation, library science, digital libraries, and integrated library systems
- Attend appropriate training or professional association conferences
- In-depth familiarity with software development principles
- Java (prefered), C(C++), PHP or other mature programming language
- MySQL or Oracle database development
- XSLT(highly desirable)
- Experience developing using Linux or a similar operating system
- Experience with Ex Libris products (highly desirable)
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to communicate technical issues clearly with non-technical employees
- Ability to manage projects which cross organizational lines and to direct team members who do not report to the incumbent
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Computer Science or related field
- 3-5 years experience with Java, PHP or other mature programming language
- 1 year programming database applications.
BYU offers excellent benefits including group medical, dental, disability, life insurance and a selection of retirement programs. Other benefits include a tuition benefit, wellness program, and employee discount at the BYU bookstore and to athletic events. Employees also enjoy access to the Harold B. Lee Library and other BYU Facilities. For more information follow this link.
Preference given to members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
To apply: http://yjobs.byu.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=76275
This post was submitted by Curtis Thacker.
This is awesome! Thanks Joe!
jianjun replied to the forum topic you will become the talk on the town quickly. in the group Google AI Challenge
[url=http://www.buytoocheap.com]Cheap Burberry Shoes[/url]
[url=http://www.buytoocheap.com]cheap coogi clothing[/url]
[url=http://www.chinabeltsshop.com]cheap prada belts[/url] […]
SONFANG (HONGKONG) CO., LIMITED come in an expansive selection of shapes, colors, sizes and storage capacities. In addition to pre-rendered varieties, Print USB offers custom-tooled molding based on your specifications. We can produce promotional flash drives for your tradeshow giveaways or custom usb drives to precisely meet the requests of our clients. Our goal is nothing less than their complete satisfaction of the individuals and businesses we serve
Go through our vast design options and pick the style that suits your company. Our website: http://www.designsusb.com Once you’ve chosen a design, we can help you customize USB flash drives, so that your company's logo can stand out even more. By making use of our USB drive printing services, you can make sure that you will get a lasting return on this sound investment in custom USB drives as your company will be advertised on a daily basis.
mike replied to the forum topic you will become the talk on the town quickly. in the group Google AI Challenge
SONFANG (HONGKONG) CO., LIMITED come in an expansive selection of shapes, colors, sizes and storage capacities. In addition to pre-rendered varieties, Print USB offers custom-tooled molding based on your […]
Programming in Coffeescript was a really good manual on coffeescript. The book is targeted at programmers without any familiarity with Coffeescript, but each topic was deeply covered which made it a fantastic way […]
At the September meeting we went over a list of code smells to watch out for and investigate. Code smells are indications that something might be wrong and you should look deeper to see if it's something that […]
horryy replied to the forum topic you will become the talk on the town quickly. in the group Google AI Challenge
Ils sont juste superbement fabriqué que personne ne ferait la différence que vous pourriez porter des chaussures originales ou de reproduction. Donc, vous devriez regarder ces chaussures pour générer votre […]